Stormwater Vator Services
Do you see debris or sediment building up?
Do you have standing water for more than 24 hours?
Need stormwater vactor services?
Whirlwind can perform all your Vactor services.
Inspection and maintenance performed by trained and certified experts.
Are you in compliance?
Whirlwind offers a free Stormwater Report when you buy any vactor service (over $2000).
Offer available through 12/31/19 - for more information click here
Share this post!
Prepare for Winter!
As Autumn comes to a close, it is important to prepare for the winter weather ahead. First, while it is still fall it is very important to get all leaves cleaned up to prevent flooding and to make the roads less slippery and hazardous for both cars driving and people walking on your facility or your site. Clean any drains which are known to get heavy organic debris or where issues arise during heavy rain events. Check you Stormwater treatment devices for signs of needed maintenance and winterize your irrigation system before we receive our first cold blast. Getting your vendors set up for storm and flooding clean-up is very important because your regular vendors may not have 24 hour support or they may decide to change pricing if these scenarios arise over night or weekends if you haven't prepared for this before it happens.
Have your deicing and plowing vendor signed up and prepare your site, team and tenants for what is to come in the event of winter storms. This includes having someone lined up to plow your lot, having a place to pile snow delineated, and a plan on how to de-ice your parking lots and sidewalks when the temperature of storm requires. It is also important to check for low spots that could collect water and create potential icing hazards. To make shoveling/snow blowing easy make sure bricks/pavers are set flush. It is also important to have a plan in place for your facilities team along with a map and clear signage for traffic and pedestrians to avoid the hazards you identify with your team.
A few checklist items for your home are to clean out your gutters, check windows for cracks and correct seals, and have adequate lighting outside your home. Inside it is important to check your heating system filter, reverse your ceiling fan air flow, change the batteries in your fire alarms, service your chimney if you haven't used it recently and check your doors and windows for correct seals and cracks. Also most importantly make sure you have a plan in case you can't leave the house or the power goes out. Some examples would be to make sure you have enough food for a few days and service your generator.
Your vehicles may need some winter preparation as well – check your tire pressure and tread depth. Use winter windshield wiper fluid and switch to a winter grade oil at your next oil change. Another idea is to put a "winter supply" box in your car. A few items to include in this box are: a flashlight, road flares, a first-aid kit, a few blankets, a change of warm clothes for the driver, a few extra pairs of gloves, a radio, a charged cellphone for 911 calls, add bags of sand for traction, an extra ice scraper, and some high energy snacks like nuts or jerky. This kit could make all the difference if something goes wrong while traveling on a cold winter day.
Whirlwind has been helping prepare our customers sites and protecting investments for over 30 years! Our team is excited for the opportunity to help with your fall and winter projects and winter storm support. Contact us today – we will customize solutions for your sites exterior maintenance!
Share this post!
Commercial Landscaping Fun Facts:
1. About 21 million acres of grass in the United States are in back yards and front lawns.
2. Lawns have actually been proven to be great producers of oxygen; three times more effective than trees. So if you ever need to catch your breath while jogging, go stand on someone’s lawn.
3. The term “landscape” was actually a painting term. So we guess landscapers can refer to themselves as artists?
4. Australia is the landscape capital of the world. They employ more landscapers than any other country and have the most national parks in the world.
5. An hour of weeding burns about 300 calories (equivalent to biking at a steady pace) and an hour of pushing a lawn mower burns about 500 calories (equivalent to playing tennis).
6. The most viewed picture of a landscape in the world is…wait for it… “Bliss,” which is the default Windows® XP background image of a large field.
7. If an A/C unit is shaded by a tree, the unit efficiency can increase up to 10%. Keeping the air conditioner cold makes it work better? How ironic.
8. A landscape’s arrangement doesn’t just make things beautiful; it can affect the environment as well as social behaviors. They’ve always said that beauty is deeper than what we can see.
Share this post!
Most Recent Posts ...
Search All Blog Posts
Signup for Email Updates
Blog Post Archive Categories
- Prepare for Winter!
- Facilities Teams Can Help Sustain a Healthy Planet
- Vacuum your parking lot with a sweeper truck, because you wouldn`t use a blower for your homes carpet....
- Tacoma Golf Tournament
- River Otters outside Whirlwind Office in Woodinville
- Taking the time to help a person or animal in need
- Protect local streams, the Puget Sound, Fish, and Orcas