Most Recent Posts ...
Search All Blog Posts
Signup for Email Updates
Blog Post Archive Categories
- Facilities Teams Can Help Sustain a Healthy Planet
- Vacuum your parking lot with a sweeper truck, because you wouldn`t use a blower for your homes carpet....
- Behind The Scenes of Public Landscaping
- Tacoma Golf Tournament
- Taking the time to help a person or animal in need
- Protect local streams, the Puget Sound, Fish, and Orcas
- What is stormwater management?
- The Coolest Company in Town in Hiring - Apply Today!
- Happy 4th of July from Whirlwind
- How to Pick the Correct Facilities Maintenance Company
Women`s History Month - Did you know....
The Street Sweeper was invented by a woman in 1900 – Florence Parpart. Born in the Hoboken, New Jersey, Parpart was listed as a housewife in the United States Census for the majority of her life.
She didn’t invent the first Street Sweeper (The first street sweeper patent was awarded to Eureka Frazer Brown in 1879) – but it was such an improvement on earlier models that within two years of receiving her patent she had contracts all across the United States to manufacture her design. In 1914 Florence went on to patent the electric refrigerator … replacing the icebox!
Parpart spent the majority of her life in New York City and Philadelphia, and both cities needed additional street sweepers to keep residential and commercial areas clean. Parpart won her patent in 1900.